5 June 2007

Mallsick

What's the deal with all those malls all over the place? Singapore seems to be overrun with air-conditioned malls. You can't get down from a Mrt without walking through one. There's a new one near my place, Ang Mo Kio Hub they call it. I can't stand the place and I have never been able to place my hand on why until now.
There must be like several hundreds of shops there and not one, none whatsoever, is a book store. Not one. And the thought disgust me. The endless shops selling shoes, bags, video games, jewelleries. And the food, OMG, the food stalls.
To me this just shows how shallow we as a people are(we as a people? Don't make me laugh). All we sick bastards do are eat and shop. That's our life. Buying bags after bags and shoes after shoes.
And we eat. Oh yah, we live to eat. My first reaction at seeing the foodstalls is: How can anyone eat this much? My next question is: How can anyone eat in THIS asylum of a place? The noise is enough to give anyone a headache. And when I have had a close look: How can anyone eat this shit?
The thought is depressing. If an alien lifeform is to document our existence, the report would be about a branch of short lived assholes who spend their life grabing money to buy stuff they don't use and eat and eat and eat.
I mean, common, where's the culture? Unless you count malls as a form of culture.
I blame this phenomenon on the observation that we, as a people, are not well educated. In fact, most people in Singapore does not recieve an education, but rather an instruction or a training. Schools teaches life skills, and since our life is all about making money, life skills = money making skills. If something doesn't earn you money, it isn't worth knowing.

No comments: