11 November 2004

unhygienic practice of barbers

I sent this letter to the Straitstime forum, Ministry of Environment, and the Minister of Health. Let's see some answers.

Recently I was at my neighborhood barber shop getting
my haircut. I noticed the barber using the same razor
for every customer without changing the blade. I
imagine this repeating everyday in barber shops all
over the island.

When I got back home, I ran a search on the web and
found that in September 2003, there is a news article
that HIV may have been passed between two Australia
sisters who shared a razor to shave their legs.

Any procedure in which a needle or razor is used on
more than one person involves a theoretical risk of
HIV transmission because of the possibility of
infected blood on the instrument.

Personal service workers like tattoo artists,
piercers, hairdressers and barbers, massage
therapists, manicurists, and acupuncturists should all
be educated on the risks and to take the necessary
precautions.

I will like to know if there is any guidelines which
are designed to protect both the workers and their
customers from HIV and other blood-borne illnesses
such as hepatitis.

Thank You.

No comments: