10 December 2004

VSA Camp'04

Wow. Back from VSA Camp'04, organised by Very Special Arts Singapore. The camp was held in NYP this year. Funny how my old school feel so much nicer and human now i'm not studying there.

It was really a last minute decision. Came to know of this program only the night before, and never cross my mind to take part. Went nyp for a swim and dropped by to say hi. Surprise, surprise, saw vincent. Who would have thought so. Turned out he's a rather regular volunteer. Wrestled with myself for 5 minutes and decided there and then to take part. Got my stuff, borrowed 20 bucks from mom and is back in 2 hours.
It really felt like looking down a misty cliff and deciding 'what the heck' and jump; free-falling into the unknown depth, not knowing where the bottom is.

Scare. Oh yes i was. I didn't know what to expect. Doubt is not knowing whereter you such be doing something and whereter you can do something. Gary and Gek kook didn't help with tales of Guan hua last year. But hey, they are back again this year. And the first night i went to bed with the thought: 'hey, if they can do it, why can't you?'

First day: Guan Hua, Shiaw Lun, Fern, Jessica, Li Qing, Wei Neng, Zhen Yuan; how can i ever forget them. We had dancing and artwork lessons together. One day felt so long, and its so tiring. Had to call Guan Hua's mom(what did i expect?). Ask me again, I felt i had a great day. A friend sms me how am i. I replied: i'm in hell, surrounded by angels.
That night, for the first time in my life, i check on children to see that thy are sleeping properly. When shiaw lun woke up, i pat him back to sleep; zeng yuan have a habit of moving his feet; wei neng slept well; and at 3.04am i found guan hua's sleeping bag empty, thanks god he's not too far away. I wanted to put his sleeping bag on him, but i was scare of waking him up. The last thing i need at 3 in the morning is a awaken guan hua.
And the volunteers didn't get much sleep either. I feel i cheated. Because i slept so much. There are people who stay up just so the kids don't wonder off, and bring them to the toilet. And gek kook, among others stayed up so late staring at their kids.

It's my belief that volunteering, especially with special children, attracts the best sort of people. Observed that there is more girls volunteers that guys. I noticed that the same is true in other volunteer circle too. mmmh...maybe brahm is right. More girls go to heaven. Btw, girls should take a hint. If they know a guy who volunteers, he'll probably be a caring boyfriend, and a great husband.

Day 2: Outing day. I've been tasked with guan hua. Decided to try out some of those methods i read about in managing children. When he's in one of his tantrum and took someone elses handphone, i use the 'mother' card. I was surprise at the effect. And I felt bad. It felt unfair. I can tell he love his mother, and by that, i also say that his mother love him. Because when you love someone, it goes both way. Many a time when he and i was alone, and i'm lecturing him, my eyes will water up, i think he felt it too.
The outing was to Singapore museum and a boat ride on the Singapore river. Had to wash guan hua pants before the outing, because he shitted in them. I remember nothing of the museum, and that's saying something.
That night we neng and zeng yuan didn't sleep much. I sort of wish shiaw lun will wake up too. I wan to pat him to sleep. When someone is so dependent on you. What else can you do but love as a father his child?

Last day: Performent day. Noticed that we have probably overfed shiaw lun. He's starting to look like a care bear. The volunteers are really trying to get our act together for the big day. I'm not too worried. What the children want is applause. What the parents want is to see their children on stage. Whatever happens up there. The applause is going to be thunderous. The day goes on like the last 2. The usual tantrums, the disappearing act,'oh great, now what?' scenarios, basically the volunteers solving little crisis.
I'm almost sad to let my children go back to their parents. They, even the difficult ones, are so much more forgiving that anyone i know, even children. What gentle souls.

I have gain so much from this short experience. And I encourage everyone to volunteer. Open up your heart. Collect karma points. Whatever. Jump.

How do you love someone? Just accept them.

No comments: